Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Best Shoe Forward

Wow, it has been almost a year since my last post {where does the time go?}. Well, a few things have changed since I last posted. I have started back to work and I just got the great news that I got a permanent position this year!! Although, I am thrilled to be working again I am still struggling with finding that perfect balance between family time, Running (me time), and working. If anyone has so suggestions I am all ears. Another thing new is I have ran 3 races since my last post (2 halves and a relay). I can officially mark a women only half (which was an awesome race by the way) and a relay (it was fun but I won't be doing one again any time soon.  I'm definitely a half marathon kind of girl) off my running bucket list.

So, now that I have caught you up a bit lets talk about what's going on now. I have just started a new  10 week training season for my 7th half marathon (The Showdown).  I have really slacked off  of running since May and it's been so tough for me to find my groove again. I started this new season putting my best foot forward by getting a new pair of shoes. Now the last few pairs I have ran in have been Mizuno's wave riders(which I have loved!). So, I went to the running store, asked for a pair of  Wave Riders, and out the door I went (with a super cute purple pair). Excited to take them for a run I  laced them up and hit the street with some of my sole sisters. Two miles into my run it felt like fabric was balled up under my forefoot (only one side) and by my third mile I was hurting (and a tad bet upset). So, I took them for another run just to make sure but no luck same happened again.

Well, back to the running shoe store I went with the super cute purple shoes in tow (sniff,sniff). I told the employee my issue and he assessed the shoe. He then told me the shoe I had was to big (WHAT, I always wear a 8 1/2! Are my feet shrinking?! He reassured me that sometimes shoes will run big. Phew, I was beginning to panic a bit.) and so he sent me off with a smaller pair of Wave Riders (an adorable teal pair). Now, I was optimistic and ready to pound some pavement with my new kicks. Well, my first mile was good and them the second mile hit and my worst fear happened that same balled up fabric feeling under both feet this time(grrrrr! REALLY!). Can this really be happening!! All I want to do is run and not have my feet hurt. So, I gave my shoes one last try but no luck.

 I really didn't want to go back to the running store. I have never had shoe issues before and reluctantly I took myself back to the store (with the help of my hubby reminding me that I can't start a training season with shoes that hurt my feet). So,I explained the situation to the girl helping me and she pulled out a few different brands of shoes out for me. I ended up skipping over my Mizunos (I will miss you so.) and decided to go with the Brook's Ravennas (one of the shoes I ran in before I fell in love with my Mizunos). Well, after a few runs in my Brooks with no major issues I am so happy to report that I think I found the right shoes for me. Now, it's time to get my run on :)

What's on your running bucket list?
Do you ever had a go to brand of shoe?
What shoe issues have you had?


When in doubt RUN it out!
Amanda :)

No comments:

Post a Comment